The suspect of stabbing an Asian man in New York Metropolis instructed authorities

The suspect of stabbing an Asian man in New York’s Chinatown entered the New York District Attorney’s Office and admitted he had just “stabbed a man in the block,” according to Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Adam Johnson.

According to a criminal complaint, the suspect told authorities, “I stabbed this guy. If he dies, he dies. I don’t give an f —” during his arrest.

“This is a strong case with video evidence, eyewitnesses and a confession from the defendant,” Johnson said in a statement.

The suspect was identified as Salman Muflihi, 23, from Brooklyn. Muflihi is charged with assault and attempted second-degree murder and criminal possession of a third-degree weapon.

“We are investigating further and may impose additional fees if warranted,” said Johnson. Muflihi must spend a minimum of 5 years in state prison and a maximum of 25 years in prison.

Muflihi is charged with stabbing a 36-year-old man walking on the sidewalk at the intersection of Worth and Baxter Streets near federal courts. The incident occurred on Thursday around 6:20 p.m., the New York Police Department said.

“Without prior interaction, the defendant approached the victim from behind, grabbed him by the shoulder and stabbed the knife in his lower back,” said Johnson. When Muflihi ran away from the scene, he said, “I’m sorry,” an eyewitness told investigators.

The injured man said he “never saw the defendant and had no idea why he attacked him,” said Johnson.

The man suffered serious injuries. His liver was punctured and he suffered from profuse internal bleeding. Doctors at Bellevue Hospital removed one of his kidneys and adrenal gland, Johnson said, adding that the victim “is currently hospitalized in critical condition and may not survive.”

“This case is any New Yorker’s worst nightmare … being attacked with a large knife by a total stranger for no reason,” said Johnson.

Muflihi’s bail was set at $ 500,000.

The stabbing incident occurred two days after Mayor Bill de Blasio and the police department’s Asian Hate Crime Task Force commander discussed crimes against Asians in the city and elsewhere.

There have been 28 incidents of hate crimes against Asians related to Covid since the pandemic, and all but one were Asian victims, said NYPD Assistant Inspector Stewart Loo, who heads the Asian Hate Crime Task Force formed last year.

There were two this year, he said. There were three anti-Asian hate crimes in the year before the pandemic. Loo and de Blasio said hate crimes were often underreported and they encouraged victims to report them.

In general, for an act of violence to be considered a Covid-related hate crime, something needs to be said or a statement made by the attacker, Loo said.

Before Muflihi confessed to the New York District Attorney’s Office, the New York Police Department’s Hate Crimes Department investigated the attack, but their investigation ended when Muflihi self-reported and said the sting was not motivated by race or ethnicity, according to NBC New York .

Comments are closed.