Newest coronavirus updates in New York: Saturday, January 9, 2021
NEW YORK – Below is the latest update on coronavirus news affecting New York. You can find more resources and information on our coronavirus page.
Governor Andrew Cuomo held a phone briefing on the coronavirus pandemic. Listen in the video player below or click here.
- 258,000 tests were performed on Friday – a new record in the number of daily tests.
- The positivity rate varies with the number of tests.
- If the number of tests is fewer, we believe that more symptomatic people will be tested, so the positivity rate is likely to be higher.
- The nationwide positivity is 6.5% – after 7.7%.
- 188 new deaths
- 8,527 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 across the country
- 1,400 patients are in intensive care units
- 543,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered
- “This is a matter of life and death, and giving these vaccines a top priority,” said Cuomo.
- In the first week, hospitals administered 33,000 doses of the vaccine.
- In the past week alone, 259,000 doses have been administered so far.
New COVID common updates
- Three more cases of the so-called British coronavirus strain have been identified in New York.
- Two of the new cases relate to the first case in Saratoga Springs.
- Another case in Nassau County – a 64-year-old man from Massapequa – has been confirmed and appears to be unrelated to the Saratoga outbreak.
- Around 55 cases of the variant are now known nationwide.
- Continue reading
New York health officials will begin vaccinating the next subset of people against COVID-19 starting Monday, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Friday. To find out who is eligible, click here.
Fans attend the playoff game Buffalo Bills
Approximately 6,700 fans who recently tested negative for COVID-19 will play Buffalo’s first playoff game at Bills Stadium on Saturday. Allowing fans in the stands is part of a health department pilot program that the state hopes could be a model for reopening other recreational facilities in the future. Continue reading.
Biden to detail new stimulus plan
President-elect Joe Biden teased a new COVID-19 bill that could include more direct payments for most Americans during a news conference in Wilmington, Delaware, Friday. Continue reading.
The latest official numbers:
According to the Department of Health, there have been 1,094,144 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 31,392 confirmed deaths since March.
COVID-19 Timeline: How Novel Coronaviruses Spread
Tips to keep yourself and others safe from coronavirus outbreaks
The New York State coronavirus hotline is 1-888-364-3065; Information is also published here