New York releases up to date knowledge on nursing house deaths in Covid-19

The data released on Saturday comes over a week after the attorney general said in a report that the department undercounted Covid-19 deaths among nursing home residents by about 50%.

Data released on the department’s website on Saturday shows 13,197 confirmed and suspected positive Covid-19 deaths of nursing home residents across the state from March 1, 2020 to February 5, 2021. Of those deaths, 4,080 occurred after one Nursing home residents had been transported outside the facility, the data show.

The data reflect a slight increase in the numbers previously reported. In a statement released last week in response to the attorney general’s report, state health commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said the health department had confirmed a total of 12,743 and presumably positive Covid-19 deaths among residents of nursing homes by January 19 – of which 3,829 outside of nursing homes.

The updated numbers on Saturday provided a fresh picture of the number of pandemics in the nearly 600 nursing homes across the state, with the number of deaths broken down for each facility.

Many nursing homes have doubled or tripled the number of deaths when factoring in the confirmed Covid-19 deaths from residents who occurred outside of their facility.

For example, a nursing home in the Bronx had recorded three deaths since March 1, 2020. However, according to the new data, there were another 18 deaths among residents who died after being transported from the facility.

Sugar denied there was an undercount last week, saying the department has “always publicly reported the number of deaths in hospitals regardless of where the patient lives, and reported the number of deaths in nursing homes separately and made the nature of the deaths clear.” this reporting. “

Supreme Court Justice Kimberly O’Connor on Wednesday directed the health department to forward data on deaths in nursing homes to the Empire Center monitoring group. The group had sued the Ministry of Health, claiming it stalled at the group’s request on the Freedom of Information Act.

O’Connor had given the state health department five days to provide the group with the appropriate records and said it had not provided a “reasonable explanation” as to why it did not respond to the request in a timely manner.

According to a press release from the group, the Empire Center requested the recordings on August 3, 2020. The health department had postponed this three times, the last time until March 22.

Bill Hammond, a senior health policy fellow at the Empire Center, said Saturday that the updated data did not meet the requirements of his request for information.

“The assignment gave the department five business days to complete the requirements, and they have not yet officially contacted the Empire Center. The details released on Saturday are a tiny fraction of what the Empire Center requested,” it said the press release.

When asked about the Empire Center’s testimony, Department of Health spokesman Gary Holmes told CNN, “These are data review and data sharing projects that are running on parallel lanes. The FOIL response is being finalized while we continuously provide publicly available data on the DOH update We said we would do both after our preliminary audit was done and we will. “

Comments are closed.