New York bars, eating places suing coronavirus curfew are briefly given OK to remain open later: report

Ninety bars and restaurants suing New York State over a 11 p.m. coronavirus curfew were allowed to stay open until their normal closing time of 4 a.m. this weekend, according to a Supreme Court ruling on Saturday night.

Judge Timothy Walker’s decision to issue an injunction took effect immediately, Buffalo’s WIVB-TV reported.

Steve Cohen, an attorney with the Hogan-Willig law firm who represents the plaintiffs, said the firm’s clients were happy with the decision. The company had argued that the curfew was not backed by science.

CUOMO CRACKS ON BARS, GYMS, RESTAURANTS AS CORONAVIRUS FALLS CLIMB AGAIN

“It is probably the last chance our customers have to breathe life back into them. They were all hanging by a thread,” said Cohen, “and Judge Walker gave them a lifeline.”

“It is probably the last chance our clients have to breathe life back into them. They were all hanging by a thread and Judge Walker gave them a lifeline.”

– Steve Cohen, attorney representing New York companies

Walker’s decision only applies to the bars and restaurants involved in the lawsuit, WIVB reported.

Earlier this month, Hogan-Willig sued Governor Andrew Cuomo, urging a judge to get the state to honor his December request for access to state data on coronavirus transmission.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

Cohen said at the time that the company wanted evidence that the state’s coronavirus restrictions were justified by scientific data, WIVB reported.

Cuomo’s office at the time responded that it was holding back comment until it could review the lawsuit, claiming that any government allegation of “deception or cover-up” was “simply false”.

Comments are closed.