GM arrested at Staten Island Bar after once more resisting closure and hitting the proxy by automotive – NBC New York

What to know

  • The general manager of a bar in Staten Island was arrested for the second time in a week for opening in violation of COVID rules
  • Daniel Presti is said to have hit a sheriff’s deputy with his car before his arrest – and drove on while the deputy clung to the hood
  • Prestis Bar, Mac’s public house, became a focal point after declaring itself an “autonomous zone” that did not comply with the closure orders

The general manager of a bar in Staten Island that repeatedly violated public health closures is now being arrested for allegedly reopening and then hitting a sheriff’s deputy in his car while on the run.

The New York sheriff’s office said MPs attempted to arrest 34-year-old Danny Presti shortly after midnight Sunday after watching patrons enter Mac’s Public House through an empty business space next door.

After they identified themselves, the Sheriff’s Office said Presti allegedly escaped on foot, got into his car, drove into one of the MPs, and then drove on while the injured MP held onto the hood.

The MPs were finally able to stop the car and take Presti into custody. The injured MP was taken to hospital. On Sunday evening, Presti was charged with nearly a dozen charges, including assault, reckless driving and resisting arrest. He was released at his own discretion.

Presti’s attorney did not immediately respond to a comment made to the Associated Press.

Presti, 34, was eventually stopped and arrested, the sheriff said. Presti was charged on Sunday afternoon in Staten Island’s 122nd Ward on 10 counts, including third degree assault, reckless driving, threatening and resisting arrest. A phone message was left for Mark Fonte, a Presti lawyer.

In the early evening Presti left the bar to speak to the media: “It’s still sad because we all have to open. I get calls from the other business owners and staff at these places and they are still trying to figure out how they are doing this month Rent come and how they can get their children Christmas presents. “

The bar documented some of the night’s events on Facebook and posted a short video at the time of Presti’s arrest and a statement.

“After a busy day at work, the sheriffs hid like snakes in the grass and waited for Danny to leave to finally go home and rest!” Mac’s public house read Facebook in part on Sunday morning.

“We won’t back down! You didn’t scare us !! The world is watching and it’s time for everyone to wake up!” The contribution continued.

The incident ended with a week in which the bar lost its liquor license, was ordered to evacuate, fined thousands of dollars and was the scene of protests against the COVID-19 microcluster of Governor Andrew Cuomo was making rules.

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the bar in Grant City on Wednesday, the day after it closed after publicly declaring themselves an “autonomous zone” and failing to adhere to New York’s COVID-19 measures.

A large crowd gathered outside Mac’s public house on Staten Island Wednesday after one of the bar owners was arrested for keeping food open in the house. NBC New York’s Ida Siegal reports.

The crowd stopped the traffic outside and demanded that the bar be open to business. The sheriff’s deputies stood in front of the entrance to the bar, which closed after she insisted on continuing food and drink service in the house. But that didn’t stop protesters from yelling in rage not only at the officials outside, but also Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio for implementing the restrictions preventing the bar from operating within the service. The bar is located in an orange zone and all indoor meals are prohibited.

The bar’s co-owner, Keith McAlarney, has been opening his bar for the past two weeks when the orange zone was set up on this section of Staten Island. He said he had to stay open because it would mean he could pay the bills and support his family, but now he’s calling on other small businesses to join his struggle.

Supporters lined up outside a Staten Island bar and were upset that it had closed for repeatedly contradicting city and state COVID-19 restrictions. Phil Lipof from NBC New York reports.

“It’s time for every small business and citizen, it’s time to stand up and open up,” McAlarney said earlier this week. “All small businesses are getting up. The citizens are there, they want you to be open. We have to make a living.”

On Tuesday evening, the general manager of the bar, Presti, was arrested for being open. The 34-year-old has not been cooperative and has been charged with obstructing government administration on top of charges of unauthorized food and drink services, the sheriff said.

“All we can do to keep people safe. Now if we go to Lowe’s and Home Depot, 500 people are walking around touching everything,” Presti said at the time. “Aside from having hand sanitizer upon entering, what is the security procedure?”

Health officials say the difference is the mask – it can be worn in stores and other places, but people can’t wear one while eating and drinking. The protesters, some of whom did not wear masks, say they want to take the risk.

A tavern on Staten Island is defying city and state-imposed coronavirus restrictions to stay open, reports Phil Lipof.

Mac’s had declared itself an “autonomous zone” – a nod to protesters who claimed control of a Seattle neighborhood in June – that did not obey state or city rules regarding indoor COVID shutdown Service held. The bar was caught breaking orders after a plainclothes officer went in and ordered food and drinks, the city sheriff’s office said.

New York Sheriffs said MPs monitored the bar Tuesday after receiving complaints about indoor dining after the 10 p.m. curfew. According to the sheriff’s office, the deputy sheriffs saw 14 people in the bar, many of whom were eating and drinking alcoholic beverages. Plainclothes officials at a table ordered food and drinks “in exchange for a mandatory” donation “of $ 40,” authorities said.

Uniformed MPs then went in and issued tickets for state and city violations, Sheriff Joseph Fucito said in a press release. The bar was also reopened on Friday evening, although no arrests were made.

But the law enforcement authorities observed a similar behavior again on Saturday evening: the visitors were led through a free commercial area and then through a back door and served with food and drinks in exchange for a “donation”.

“We refused to abide by the rules and regulations set out by the NYC Mayor and NY State Governor,” said the MAC Public House.

The bar’s decision to continue its food and beverage service inside resulted in an injunction and a fine of $ 1,000 per day. The bar’s alcohol license has also been suspended.

“If you want to leave it to the big businesses, you should have found a way to make it happen to small businesses too,” McAlarney previously said, adding that he’s not against the mask mandate or physical distancing, but rather the government’s needs to order to help struggling business owners.

McAlarney called the support they received “overwhelming” and had a message for those who think the bar is ruthless in taking a stand.

“If you feel and have done your research and believe that this could lead to someone in your family getting sick, they’d better stay home,” said Mcalarney. “I’m not trying to trivialize anyone who has to go through this. Believe me, I wouldn’t. I’m a very personable person, I would take the shirt off my back to help anyone. But in America everyone has a choice of how it is that they end up wanting to live their lives. “

Comments are closed.